Get Adobe Flash player

Affidavit of Support – the Financial Requirements of Sponsoring Your Immigrant Relative โดย Joey

Font Size:



This week’s question comes from Khun Bok of Northridge, CA:

Q: “Khun Joey, I want to sponsor my parent’s for their green card. How do I know if I qualify?”


In general, whenever someone is asking for a green card based on family (also known as Family-based adjustment of status), that person or immigrant must be “sponsored”. In Khun Bok’s question, she is asking me if she qualifies to sponsor her parents so that they can get their green cards. Because she didn’t give me any other details, I have to assume certain things. I am going to assume that she is a US Citizen over the age of 21. The reason why I am assuming this is because in order to sponsor your parents for a green card (without a waiting period for immediate relatives), you must (1) be a United States citizen, either by birth or by Naturalization, (2) be at least 21 years of age, and (3) be financially able to sponsor them. The first two requirements are easy to determine; the third, not so much. I will explain requirement #3, which is probably the issue that Khun Bok is really asking me about.

Assuming requirements 1 and 2 are satisfied, we have to look at your financial circumstance in order to determine if you satisfy requirement #3. If all three of these requirements are satisfied, then you may qualify to sponsor your parents for their green card.

The Affidavit of Support Under INA Section 213A and the Poverty Guidelines

Each year, the Department of Health and Human Services publishes in the Federal Register an income-poverty guideline. The United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (USCIS) uses this guideline to determine whether or not a person has adequate means to financially support their relative and are not likely to rely on the U.S. government for financial support. This guideline basically lists the minimum amount of income a sponsor must make in order to sponsor their relative for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident (aka Green Card). As proof to show that you are qualified, you will be required to submit an Affidavit of Support form, information and documents regarding your last three years of Income Tax, as well as information regarding your household size. (Household size includes the sponsor themselves, the sponsor’s spouse if married, any dependents, and any lawful permanent residents that you previously submitted an affidavit of support form for and for whom you are currently still obligated to support). If the sponsor’s income does not meet the minimum income requirements as outlined in the income-poverty guideline, there are alternative ways to satisfy the requirements such as using a possible “Joint Sponsor”, supplemental assets, or another household member’s income. In some cases, you many also use the income of the intending immigrant. Please contact me for more information about these other possible ways.

Now that I’ve briefly gone over the income requirements of sponsoring your relative, I will give an example of its application in khun Bok’s case.


Given: Khon Bok’s wants to sponsor her mother and father for their green card. Let’s suppose she is married, no children, never sponsored anyone else before and has no dependents on her most recent income tax. How much does she have to make in order to sponsor her mother and father?

According to the current 2014 Health and Human Services Poverty Guideline (I-864P), the minimum income requirements for use on the Affidavit of Support form are as follows:

Household Size     125% HHS Poverty Guideline (Minimum Income Req)*

     2                  $19,662

     3                  $24,737

     4                  $29,812

     5                  $34,887


*NOTE: These figures are for sponsors not on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, or for those that live in Alaska or Hawaii.

Answer: Because she is sponsoring 2 people (her mother and father), her “household size” is herself, her husband, plus her mother and father = 4. Therefore, if you look at the list above, her reported income on the most recent-filed taxes must be $29,812. Again, as I mentioned above, even if she did not make this much, there are other ways to qualify. However, I would have to look at the specifics of her case to give a detailed answer.

I hope that this week’s article sheds light on the income requirements to sponsor an immigrant relative (parents) for adjustment of status. As always, if you have any questions you would like to be answered in future articles, please email us at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Disclaimer: The information contained herein have been prepared for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice unless otherwise specified. If you have a specific question regarding your personal case, please contact the Law Offices of Joseph Chitmongran for a full consultation.