Get Adobe Flash player


Font Size:


Hi everyone! What an eventful few weeks. For those of you who were able to attend the 40th Anniversary dinner celebrating Sereechai’s existence, I am jealous. I heard it was a great time had by all. Cheers to everyone involved and cheers to another 40 years of providing the Thai community with exceptional news reporting!

In this week’s article, I will be updating information regarding the financial income requirements of someone who wishes to sponsor an immigrant relative.


Q: “Khun Joey, I want to sponsor my parent’s for their green card. How do I know if I qualify?” (From Khun Bok, Revised and Republished)

A: In general, whenever someone is asking for a green card based on family (also known as Family-based adjustment of status), that person or immigrant must be “sponsored”. In Khun Bok’s question, she is asking me if she qualifies to sponsor her parents so that they can get their green cards. Because she didn’t give me any other details, I have to assume certain things. I am going to assume that she is a US Citizen over the age of 21. The reason why I am assuming this is because in order to sponsor your parents for a green card (without a waiting period for immediate relatives), you must (1) be a United States citizen, either by birth or by Naturalization, (2) be at least 21 years of age, and (3) be financially able to sponsor them. The first two requirements are easy to determine; the third, not so much. I will explain requirement #3, which is probably the issue that Khun Bok is really asking me about.

Assuming requirements 1 and 2 are satisfied, we have to look at your financial circumstance in order to determine if you satisfy requirement #3. If all three of these requirements are satisfied, then you may qualify to sponsor your parents for their green card.

The Affidavit of Support Under INA Section 213A and the Poverty Guidelines

Each year, the Department of Health and Human Services publishes in the Federal Register an income-poverty guideline. The United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (USCIS) uses this guideline to determine whether or not a person has adequate means to financially support their relative and are not likely to rely on the U.S. government for financial support. This guideline basically lists the minimum amount of income a sponsor must make in order to sponsor their relative for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident (aka Green Card). As proof to show that you are qualified, you will be required to submit an Affidavit of Support form, information and documents regarding your last three years of Income Tax, as well as information regarding your household size. (Household size includes the sponsor themselves, the sponsor’s spouse if married, any dependents, and any lawful permanent residents that you previously submitted an affidavit of support form for and for whom you are currently still obligated to support). If the sponsor’s income does not meet the minimum income requirements as outlined in the income-poverty guideline, there are alternative ways to satisfy the requirements such as using a possible “Joint Sponsor”, supplemental assets, or another household member’s income. In some cases, you many also use the income of the intending immigrant. Please contact me for more information about these other possible ways.

Now that I’ve briefly gone over the income requirements of sponsoring your relative, I will give an example of its application in khun Bok’s case.




Given: Khun Bok wants to sponsor her mother and father for their green card. Let’s suppose she is married, no children, never sponsored anyone else before and has no dependents on her most recent income tax. How much does she have to make in order to sponsor her mother and father?

According to the most recent 2015 Health and Human Services Poverty Guideline (I-864P), the minimum income requirements for use on the Affidavit of Support form are as follows:

*NOTE: These figures are for sponsors not on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, nor for those that live in Alaska or Hawaii.

Answer: Because she is sponsoring 2 people (her mother and father), her “household size” is herself, her husband, plus her mother and father = 4. Therefore, if you look at the list above, her reported income on the most recent-filed taxes must be at least $30,312. Again, as I mentioned above, even if she did not make this much, there are other ways to qualify. However, I would have to look at the specifics of her case to give a detailed answer.

I hope that this week’s article sheds light on the income requirements to sponsor an immigrant relative (parents) for adjustment of status. Because the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) revises their minimum support requirements from time to time, rest assured that I will be keeping you informed of these changes. And as always, if you have any questions still left unanswered or you have questions regarding other legal issues, please email me at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or contact my office at (818) 846-5639, and on the web in Thai and English at: WWW.JC4LAW.COM


Disclaimer: The information contained herein have been prepared for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice unless otherwise specified. If you have a specific question regarding your personal case, please contact the Law Offices of Joseph Chitmongran for a full consultation.